Saturday, December 6, 2014

Bennett's Birth Story

Photo by Nicole

This has the potential to be extremely long and extremely detailed. Please know I am mainly doing this for myself and do not expect you to read every single word : )

On Wednesday, December 3rd I had my 39 week appointment with my midwife. I knew going into the appointment that I wanted to ask about an elective induction. I was due the next day and was feeling pretty miserable. When I went in for my appointment my midwife checked me and I had not made any progress in about 2 weeks (3cm, 70-75% effaced, -2). I asked about the possibility of inducing in the next few days and to my surprise my midwife was completely on board. She said I was a perfect candidate for induction and she saw no reason why we couldn't do it. She gave me the option of Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.

After my appointment I called Adam and we discussed our options. We felt like Thursday would be the best day. It was his due date, there weren't a lot of inductions scheduled, and we would be able to have most of the weekend at home instead of in the hospital.

I spent the rest of the day running around with my mom making sure everything was ready and we got a mani/pedi : ) Towards the end of the day I got a call from my doctor's office letting me know that I had been bumped from the induction schedule because of an emergency induction. She told me I could move my induction to Friday or switch to the other hospital in town. I was pretty bummed but we ultimately decided to just switch to the other hospital (both are really really good so it was not a matter of which was better we had just chosen the other one because we knew several people that worked there).

Wednesday night we went to dinner and spent the rest of the night making sure all our bags were packed and everything was ready! It still had not hit me what we were actually getting ready for.

Thursday morning we were up early and out the door. We met my parents for breakfast at Chickfila before heading to the hospital. We got registered and admitted into our room pretty quickly. As soon as we got to our room I changed into the hospital gown and the process quickly began. They hooked me up to the monitors, checked all my vitals, and started pitocin (around 8:30am).

Gradually over the next few hours the pitocin was increased. The contractions were about three minutes apart and lasting about a minute each. With each passing hour the contractions got worse and worse but they were not unbearable. I spent most of the day switching between walking the halls and laying in the bed. Around 2:45 I decided to get my epidural so they could break my water in hopes that things would speed up. My midwife came in and checked me and I was 4cm. The pitocin was increased, my water was broken, and we continued to wait. Obviously after this point I was bound to the bed since I was numb and I got really bored and antsy!

Around 7:30 my midwife checked me again and I was only at 5cm. Again my pitocin was increased and my midwife said she would be back in three hours to check me again. At this point I got a little discouraged and really felt like we were either going to be in labor a lot longer or this whole thing would end in a c-section which I really didn't want.

Around 9:30 the nurse came in and asked how I was doing. I told her I was feeling some pressure and was starting to feel nauseous. Literally two minutes later I started throwing up. So lovely. I continued feeling pressure so the nurse called my midwife to come over and check me. As soon as she checked me she said I was completly dilated and the pressure I was feeling was Bennett's head! She asked if I was ready to push. I was so caught off guard because I had made such little progress all day and then all of a sudden it was time! My grandparents, in-laws, and dad came in to say bye and then we got ready to push. Adam and my mom stayed in the delivery room.

At 9:51 I started pushing. 15 minutes later, at 10:06 pm Bennett Tucker was born! He weighed 8lbs 7oz and was 20in long. I could not believe how quickly I pushed him out! After spending over 14 hours in labor I assumed I would be pushing for a while.

I honestly could not have asked for a better labor or delivery. Even though it was an extremely long day it ended with the most amazing delivery and I am SO thankful for that. I did have a few complications during delivery (1st degree tear, laceration, and extreme bleeding) but overall everything went extremely smooth!

Bennett has been a dream and is making my life as a mama better than I could have ever imagined. I can't wait to share more updates soon!

This blog post brought to you by our 1am feeding ; )


  1. I am in tears!! He is a little miracle and you're going to be the best Mama! I love you

  2. Congratulations! So, so exciting! He has the most precious face!

  3. Love his sweet story. :) Y’all are my favorite!

  4. So happy you had a healthy baby in the end! He is just beautiful. Enjoy every minute with your sweet son!

  5. You guys present there are performing an excellent job.Mark Curry Kansas City